Mission: Health 7th Grade
Designed specifically for seventh grade students, this fun and engaging course teaches the importance of proper nutrition, how to read Nutrition Facts labels, physical activity, including the different types and levels, sleep, and other healthy habits such as maintaining a healthy mind and positive body image. Throughout the interactive course, students will learn different skills that will help them lead healthy lives, such as accessing valid information, analyzing influences, and setting goals. Lessons and activities present accurate, up-to-date information using a variety of instructional methods, and are reinforced with classroom and take-home activities.
In this self-directed course, the delivery method is blended, utilizing a combination of online lessons and activities, and offline classroom activities.
Target Course Length
The target course length is approximately 1-1/2 to 1-3/4 hours, including online time, and offline time for classroom activities.
After completing Mission: Health 7th, students will be able to:
- Describe at least three healthy behaviors (including one that specifically helps keep the mind healthy) they can do each day.
- Examine Nutrition Facts labels of two foods in the same food group, and determine which food is the healthier choice.
- Plan one simple healthy meal.
- Locate three sources of valid health information.
- Write a personal health goal, and track progress toward the goal.
- Identify strategies that could be used to overcome barriers and setbacks to achieving their health-related goal.
- Distinguish between light, moderate, and vigorous physical activity.
- Predict the outcomes of not getting regular physical activity.
- Define body image.
- List internal and external factors that can affect a person’s body image.
- Examine how the media can influence a person’s health behaviors.
- Demonstrate health-enhancing behaviors, such as participating in physical activity, eating healthy foods, getting proper rest, managing stress, etc.
Students will learn about physical activity, including the different levels of physical activity, the benefits of being active, and the potential outcomes of not getting regular physical activity.