Healthy Minds 5th Grade
Healthy Minds 5th Grade is the newest in a continuum of mental and emotional health e-learning courses for K-8 students created by Children's Wisconsin. This fun and interactive course provides an engaging look at what makes a healthy mind, and teaches students strategies to improve their mental and emotional health. Specifically, students will learn how to be empathetic and support others, how to manage interpersonal conflict, how to identify feelings of sadness and depression, and how and when to ask for help when they are struggling mentally or emotionally. As students move through the course, they will learn the important skills needed to help them lead healthy lives, including setting goals and communicating effectively.
In this self-directed course, the delivery method is blended, utilizing a combination of online lessons and activities, and offline classroom activities.
Target Course Length
The target course length is approximately 3 to 4 hours, including online time, and offline time for classroom activities.
After completing Healthy Minds 5th Grade, in its entirety, students will be able to:
- Identify at least two things they can do every day to stay mentally healthy.
- Identify feelings of depression or sadness, for which someone should seek help.
- Explain two healthy ways to manage or resolve interpersonal conflict.
- Demonstrate two healthy ways to manage or resolve interpersonal conflict.
- Demonstrate effective peer resistance skills to avoid or reduce mental and emotional health risk.
- Describe how to effectively communicate support for others.
- Describe how to ask for help to improve personal mental and emotional health.
- Set a goal to improve or maintain positive mental and emotional health.
- Track progress towards achieving a mental health goal.
- Identify two trusted adults that can help with mental health goals or concerns.
- List at least two things they can do to build their self-esteem.
In this lesson, students will learn that it's normal to experience many different emotions each day. They'll also learn about dealing with loss, how puberty affects their feelings, and when and how to seek help from an adult.