Healthy Minds 4th Grade
As part of the Children's Wisconsin commitment to keeping kids healthy and safe, both physically and mentally, we created Healthy Minds 4th Grade, part of a continuum of mental and emotional health e-learning courses for K-8 students. The course provides an engaging look at what makes a healthy mind, and introduces students to the skills needed to help them lead healthy lives, including setting goals and communicating effectively. Students will learn the importance of expressing and dealing with their feelings in a healthy way, managing stress, practicing mindfulness, and other healthy habits that can improve their mental and emotional health.
In this self-directed course, the delivery method is blended, utilizing a combination of online lessons and activities, and offline classroom activities.
Target Course Length
The target course length is approximately 3 hours, including online time, and offline time for classroom activities.
After completing Healthy Minds 4th Grade, in its entirety, students will be able to:
- Identify at least two things they can do every day to stay mentally healthy.
- Identify two personal stressors at home, in school, or with friends.
- Differentiate between positive and negative ways of dealing with stress.
- Describe appropriate ways to express and deal witih emotions.
- Explain what empathy is.
- Demonstrate one or more ways to show compassion toward others.
- Describe how to ask for help to improve personal mental and emotional health.
- Set a goal to improve or maintain positive mental and emotional health.
- Track progress towards achieving a mental health goal.
- Identify two trusted adults that can help with mental health goals or concerns.
- Demonstrate one way of being mindful.
In this lesson, students will learn what stress is, as well as how to manage stress in a healthy way.