Mission: Health 1st Grade
Set in outer space, this teacher-facilitated course helps first grade students learn about wellness and obesity prevention by following four characters on a quest to learn more about eating right and getting the right kinds of exercise. Through short online lessons, and both online and offline activities, first-graders learn that food equals fuel, what goals are, how to use MyPlate to plan a meal, and how using the activity pyramid can help them get their body moving. Along the way, they will also play fun, educational games that give them the opportunity to practice the skills they have learned.
The delivery method is blended, utilizing a combination of online lessons and activities, and offline activities.
Target Course Length
The target course length is approximately 5 hours, including online time, and offline time for classroom activities.
After completing Mission: Health 1st Grade, students will be able to:
- Describe at least two healthy behaviors they can do each day.
- Describe why it is important to eat healthy foods.
- State one benefit of physical activity.
- Name two physical activities that they could do with their family or friends.
- Identify two places or locations in which they could be physically active.
- Name one "Go food".
- Name one "Whoa food".
- State whether a food or beverage is a "go food" or a "whoa food".
- Name two trusted adults who can help them stay healthy.
- Identify a personal health goal.
- Discuss a health goal with a family member or trusted adult.
- Demonstrate health-enhancing behaviors, such as participating in physical activity, eating healthy foods, and getting proper rest.
Blast Off! contains the 3-2-1-0 Blast Off song and a lesson in which students meet the main characters of the program and learn about the 3-2-1-0 health plan.