Analyzing Influences is the first skills-based e-learning course topic introduced by Children's Wisconsin. Skills-based health education is quickly gaining momentum as the key to actually transforming student behavior and empowering students to live healthy lives, because educators know that knowledge alone isn’t enough to change behavior. It is essentially a health education framework focusing on teaching students a vital and relevant health skill along with essential health concepts.
In short, the analyzing influences skill is the ability to analyze both internal and external influences that might affect health‑related decisions. We know, however, that content knowledge acquisition is still a critical component of a skills-based curriculum. That is why our first skills-based e-learning course, It's Your Choice - Analyzing Influences 7th Grade, thoughtfully combines the skill of analyzing influences with important Alcohol, Tobacco, and Other Drugs prevention content to mimic real-life situations and offer students engaging ways to make their own powerful health decisions.
It's Your Choice - Analyzing Influences aligns with National and Wisconsin Health Education Standards and supports the Wisconsin Model Academic Standards for School Counseling. Using online lessons and activities, and offline classroom activities, students will learn:
- The different types of influences in their lives, including internal and external, media and technology, and social norms
- How to analyze the different types of influences
- How to recognize and understand the impact of influences on health behaviors
- How peers affect health behavior decisions
- The different types of drugs
- The impact and negative consequences of using alcohol, tobacco, and other drugs
- Understand the reasons why people choose to use or not use alcohol, tobacco, and other drugs
- How personal values and beliefs influence behaviors
Easy to Implement
It's Your Choice - Analyzing Influences 7th Grade can be used as a stand-alone skills-based curriculum, focusing on the skill of Analyzing Influences, or as one that innovatively combines the skills-based content with alcohol, tobacco, and other drugs curriculum content. Pre- and post-tests allow you to track your students' knowledge and comprehension as they move through the course. The course includes a comprehensive teacher's guide that prepares teachers and counselors to use the course in the classroom.
See the chart below for an at-a-glance view of the available It's Your Choice - Analyzing Influences course, along with the specific course features.