Mission: Health 4th Grade
Fourth grade students learn about health-enhancing behaviors and how nutrition and physical activity positively affect our body. They will also learn about goal-setting, analyzing influences, how to access valid health information, and the benefits of physical activity and proper rest. Content is delivered via short online lessons, engaging videos, and fun educational games that give students the opportunity to practice the skills they have learned.
In this self-directed course, the delivery method is blended, utilizing a combination of online lessons and activities, and offline classroom activities.
Target Course Length
The target course length is approximately 3-4 hours, including online time, and offline time for classroom activities.
After completing Mission: Health 4th Grade, students will be able to:
- Describe at least three healthy behaviors (including at least one that specifically helps keep the mind healthy) they can do each day.
- Distinguish between feeling hungry, feeling satisfied, and feeling full.
- List three valid sources of health information, such as a doctor, nurse, nutrition labels, and mypyramid.gov.
- Choose the healthier food when given two foods from the same food group.
- Explain why eating a variety of healthy foods is important to keep their body working properly.
- Write a personal health goal and track progress toward the goal.
- List three things that can help them get a good night's sleep.
- Explain two benefits of physical activity.
- Identify two physical activities that they enjoy.
- Demonstrate health-enhancing behaviors, such as participating in physical activity, eating healthy foods, and getting proper rest.
- Describe at least two external factors (such as family, peers, culture, media, technology, school environments, and physical environments) that can influence health behaviors.
- Describe at least two internal factors (such as personal values, beliefs, and emotions) that can influence health behaviors.
In this lesson, students will learn about physical activity, including the different types of physical activity, and the benefits of each type. Students will also explore goal setting and learn how to set SMART goals.