Act Now! 6th Grade
This interactive sixth grade e-learning course helps students learn more about the different kinds of bullying, its effects, and how to respond to it. Students spend time at a fictitious middle school, where they meet a cast of characters whose lives have been affected by bullying in various ways. Through virtual conversations with the characters, their opinions and actions put the students in the position to make positive, long-lasting choices about bullying. Lessons, educational videos, and games are woven into the complex learning environment. Included at this grade level are introductions and discussions on sexual harassment and cyberbullying, as well as effective strategies for improving their school’s overall climate.
In this self-directed course, the delivery method is blended, utilizing a combination of online lessons and activities, and offline classroom activities.
Target Course Length
The target course length is approximately 5-1/4 hours, including online time, and offline time for classroom activities.
After completing Act Now! 6th Grade, students will be able to:
- Distinguish between bullying and non-bullying behaviors given a list or video clips of behaviors.
- Demonstrate two ways, in role-play situations, to help a victim in a bullying situation.
- Demonstrate one way, in a role-play situation, to stand up for themselves in a bullying situation.
- Demonstrate, in a role-play situation, how to ask an adult for help in a bullying situation.
- Describe the short and long term effects of bullying on the victim, bully, and the bystanders.
- Distinguish between snitching and telling.
- Demonstrate advocacy through the creation of an anti-bullying campaign for their school.
- Analyze whether or not a friend is a “true friend” or a “frenemy”.
- Demonstrate two different comebacks in two different bullying situations through role-play.
- Identify what sexual harassment is.
- Write a response to a “letter to the editor” on bullying from the perspective of a bully, victim, and bystander.
- Identify three ways to change school climate and communicate them to school teachers, administrators, and parents.
This activity introduces students to fictional Newbridge Middle School, the setting for Act Now!, and learn about the school’s bullying problem.