Safety Ranger Academy K4-K5
This teacher-facilitated course, designed to be used with an interactive white board, helps K4 and K5 students learn concepts related to home safety. Students learn how to stay safe at home, both inside and out, how to safely use play equipment, how to stay safe both in and near water, and how to recognize and call 9-1-1 in an emergency. Your K4-K5 students will view short online lessons, watch videos, and play educational games that give them the opportunity to practice the skills they have learned.
In this teacher-facilitated course, the delivery method is blended, utilizing a combination of online lessons and activities, and offline classroom activities.
Target Course Length
The target course length is approximately 2-1/4 hours, including online time, and offline time for classroom activities.
After completing Safety Ranger Academy K4-K5, students will be able to:
- Recognize two unsafe ways to use play equipment, and choose two safe ways to use play equipment.
- State the water safety rule: always ask an adult to watch you each and every time you are in or around water.
- Recognize 9-1-1 as the phone number to call in an emergency.
- Identify at least two possible poisons in the home.
- Tell an adult two ways to get out of a home in case of a fire.
- Demonstrate asking an adult for help in an unsafe situation through role playing.
- Recognize two or more unsafe items and/or situations in and around the home.
Students see a brief animation of dialing 911, while a Junior Safety Ranger explains that 911 is to be used only in serious emergencies.