Safety Ranger Academy 3rd & 4th Grade
This course helps third and fourth grade students learn concepts related to home safety. Students learn to behave safely around a fire pit, recognize safe ways to use play equipment, understand the concept of adult supervision around water, and to recognize and call 911 in an emergency. Designed with the flexibility to be used as either teacher-facilitated on an interactive white board, or student guided on individual computers, the course features short online lessons, engaging videos, and fun educational games that give students the opportunity to practice the skills they have learned.
In this teacher-facilitated course, the delivery method is blended, utilizing a combination of online lessons and activities, and offline classroom activities.
Target Course Length
The target course length is approximately 2-3/4 hours, including online time, and offline time for classroom activities.
After completing Safety Ranger Academy 3rd & 4th Grade, students will be able to:
- Differentiate between at least three safe and unsafe uses of play equipment, and explain the differences.
- State the water safety rule: always ask an adult to watch you each and every time you are in or around water.
- Create a fire escape plan for their family, and lead a simulated escape with their family.
- Distinguish between at least three poisonous and non-poisonous items in the home.
- Demonstrate asking an adult for help in two different unsafe home situations, and explain why they are unsafe, through role-playing.
- Set a schedule to test all smoke alarms in the home once a month and put in new batteries once a year.
- Differentiate between four safe and unsafe items and/or situations in and around the home, and describe why the unsafe items and/or situations are unsafe.
- State 9-1-1 as the phone number to call in an emergency and role play telling the 9-1-1 operator what the emergency situation is and their name, address, and phone number.
Students see a mockup of a bedroom and need to identify two potential courses of action based on the circumstances.